glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Nevada, Iowa

Nevada, Iowa Nevada, IA Forum -- includes Collins, Colo, Maxwell, McCallsburg, and Zearing (in Story County)

Old 07-31-2007, 10:51 PM
Momma

Arrow Dog shot and killed

The NPD had to put down an attacking dog this afternoon. The incident took place near the east end of M Avenue.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Glurber

http://www.whotv.com/global/story.asp?s=6867612
Old 08-01-2007, 03:09 PM
O.G.

Send a message via Skype™ to jmmather

Breaking News: Nevada Police Chief puts down pit bull
By Marlys Barker, Nevada Journal
07/31/2007

Nevada Mayor Jerry Gull has informed the Nevada Journal of a dog-shooting incident that occurred in Nevada on Tuesday evening, July 31, at approximately 5 p.m.
At this time, the Journal knows that Nevada Police Officer Jennifer Segall was called to 1400 block of M Avenue in response to a report of a dog running at-large. The dog, a pit bull, was aggressive toward Segall and at that time Segall called for backup.
Police Chief Mike Tupper responded to the scene, where the dog then became aggressive toward Tupper. The chief took immediate action to put down the dog by shooting it.
The Story County Sheriff's Office has been called in by the city to investigate the incident.
Ironically, Tupper had been interviewed by a local television station earlier Tuesday, and a report occurred on that station's 6 p.m. news broadcast about a pit bull that the chief recommended to be evicted from Nevada this summer. That pit bull, in the west side of Nevada, had bitten a 4-year-old child.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:35 PM
junior glurber

I'm sure Chief Tupper did the right thing. Who knows how many people this dog could have injured.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:19 PM
junior glurber

The dog was over the edge. It needed to be removed from the equation.

I feel bad for anyone who loses a dog, but if it was such a precious family pet... why was it running loose for the 3rd time??

Mason Peargate III
Old 08-01-2007, 05:34 PM
junior glurber

I agree, if people are going to raise aggressive dogs and they can't contain them, they should be put down. There is no reason for making these animals mean spirited. They should heavily fine the owner as well.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:36 PM
O.G.

Send a message via Skype™ to jmmather

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkie View Post
I agree, if people are going to raise aggressive dogs and they can't contain them, they should be put down.
Ya, but, what about the dog?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:42 PM
junior glurber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmather View Post
Ya, but, what about the dog?
That's funny, I didn't write that very well, did I? Ofcourse, I meant the dog should be put down, but I suppose it would'nt hurt in some cases to include the owner...j/k

Last edited by JavaJunkie; 08-01-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:58 PM
junior glurber

I have multiple animals as I live on an acerage and ANY animal that becomes aggressive needs to be dealt with immediatly. We have a dog that I personally would not handle for the first two years because she was aggressive towards me...but with considerable care and love from my husband she has become loving towards everyone in the house. We are still cautious with her but she was the victim of an animal abuser and was defending herself and is still leary of strangers so she is not allowed out of her kennel anytime someone is over and is never left to run unattended. People need to be responsible owners and know the character of their animals. I don't mean to preach but come on animals are animals. I also know the Bottorfs and they would not react unless there was a reason too. This dog could have been spared had she had owners that cared.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Remember the Alamo

luv, there were two different dog-related incidents in Nevada recently. Copper's link was to the Bottorf situation. That dog was not killed.

The one that was shot is in jmmather's post above.