glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Boone and Ogden

Boone and Ogden Boone and Ogden, Iowa Forum -- includes Madrid (in Boone County)

Old 06-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Glurbion

Default old school buildings

I was in madrid to collect pay and had a chance to stop and look at an old school. Luther consolidated school replaced country schools and saw use for maybe 20 to 30 years only to be replaced by area/town schools. This building is now in poor condition. the land must be of little value. this in ames would be torn down.
Sometimes an old school becomes housing.
I have seen other old school buildings in central iowa. Some are in use, others crumbling. times change.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Glurbanzo Bean

the old school building in Luther is full of asbestos-they are trying to get the guy who owns it to take it down, (he is from Ames),but it is costly-you have to have the right people do it-At one time this building was full of old appliances-which they hired a guy to go in and get out of there. They started boarding up windows to keep people out, but I notice someone keeps taking them down. That is a big lot and it would be worth something I would think.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Glurbmeister

I for one, love abandoned buildings (although they are sad to see) and would love to go through the school -- but I wouldn't want to get caught and get in trouble for it, so I haven't done it.

Always wanted to go through the old County Home too before they tore it down.

Lots of history in these old places.

Lots of neat web-sites about abandoned places -- was on one the other day about abandoned missle silos -- pretty cool.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Glurbanzo Bean

Yes old buildings are fun to go through-this one though would be iffy-think the floors etc were not in great shape-plus the asbestos-it is full of it-
Old 06-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Glurber

it sure would be nice to see this one saved,i think we lose a little of our personality when we demolish these old buildings.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Glurbmeister

I agree Fuzychin78.

I especially hate to see abandoned farm houses, I can just imagine the stories they could tell.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:18 AM
Glurbanzo Bean

The last I had heard this one was going to court-the person who owns it does not want to pay the cost of the absestos cleanup. It would cost alot to save this one.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Glurber

i grew up in nw iowa, we had an old dance hall in the country called the old liberty. most of the big bands had played there. anyhow the place was forgotten about for years until it was used as a club house for the local group of bikers and after they got done with it a friend of mine bought it and tried to use it as a furnature factory. he ran out of money and the place burned to the ground shortly after he abandoned it.even in its run down condition it was a sight to behold and nobody cared enough about saving it until it was gone. sorry too late!! Maybe there's a lesson to be learned here !!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Glurbmeister

Unfortunately, that is usually the case -- nobody cares until it is too late.