glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Nevada, Iowa > Nevada and Story County Government

Nevada and Story County Government Local government discussion

Old 04-10-2012, 05:21 PM
junior glurber

Default NEVADAIAPOLICE: City of Nevada announces Public Safety Director Finalists. John Barnacle wh

NEVADAIAPOLICE: City of Nevada announces Public Safety Director Finalists. John Barnacle who is from Lemont, IL, John Carter who... http://t.co/1gMgzbCL
Old 04-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Glurbmeister

Quote:
The City heard the recommendations from the consulting firms doing the search for the Public Safety Director at their regular meeting of the City Council on April 9.

Finalist John Barnacle is from Lemont, IL (16,625). Barnacle has been with the Willowbrook Police Department since 1983. He is a watch commander. Barnacle is also a shift lieutenant with the Westmont Fire department where he has served for 6 years. He is a firefighter and an EMT-B. For the past two years he has served on the DuPage County Fire Investigations Task Force as a commander. Prior to the appointment of commander he served on the task force from 1998, to present. He was with the Lemont fire protection district as a firefighter and EMT-B form 1980 to 2000. Barnacle has a master of science in criminal/social justice from Lewis University. He attended the FBI National Academy.

The second finalist, John Carter is from Mexico, MO (11,300). Carter is a lieutenant with the Mexico City, MO public safety department and has served since 2003. All Mexico City police are cross trained as firefighters. Carter has a master of science in criminal justice, in 2005 a fire service instructor at University of Mo, 2001 Hazardous Material Incident Response Technician and confined space rescue.

The third and final candidate, Jeffrey J. Theulen, is from Council Bluffs, Iowa. Theulen is the Pottawattamie County Iowa emergency manager, and has served in that position for three years. He retired from the Omaha Police Department as a lieutenant in 2008 after 24 years. Mr. Theulen has a law degree and served as an assistant county attorney for a brief period. He is the assistant chief of the Treynor Volunteer Fire Department and has served since 2000. He is an emergency medical technician and firefighter one as well as certified with hazardous materials operations. He has thirty years of volunteer fire fighter experience with Treynor, Panama and Harlan fire departments. He served in the US Air Force reserve from 1979-2012, obtaining the rank of colonel. He has a juris doctor and a masterís in public administration.

Wouldn't you have thought that someone with a current position with the City would be on the list?
Old 04-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Remember the Alamo

Did anyone that is on the staff even apply for the position?
Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50201 View Post
I thought they dropped that Idea of Public Safety Director about a month ago and were going to stick with what we have. I must have read it wrong.

I'm sure Sgt Martinez has his name in there for Chief of Police and I hope he gets it.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50201 View Post
I just reread the names and qualifications of the individuals that are finalists and their credentials are impressive. One a lawyer, all with at least Masters degrees.

Of course there's the saying any fool can be educated. Monkeys and chimps can lure ants out of their hole with a stick. I jest.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Remember the Alamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.strum View Post
I thought they dropped that Idea of Public Safety Director about a month ago and were going to stick with what we have. I must have read it wrong.

I'm sure Sgt Martinez has his name in there for Chief of Police and I hope he gets it.
Aren't they doing away with the Chiefs and replacing them with a Public Safety Director?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Momma

That was the plan if the public safety director went through. It's confusing now because I had a conversation with Sgt Martinez a week ago and asked if he applied for chief. He said his name was in the hat and I wished him good luck.

Now this pops up again like a pimple on prom night.
(Remember the agony)
Old 04-13-2012, 06:33 AM
junior glurber

I just hope that everyone who has an opinion on this is at the meeting to talk to these gentlemen and voice that opinion. The overall tone of our police department comes from the top. So everyone that is sick of entrapment, the killing off of local businesses and the general bad attitude of our local police department better be there. There is a fine line between upholding the law and being a bully about it. Lets hope for better days and an attitude of cooperation trickling down from the top next time around.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake's mom View Post
I just hope that everyone who has an opinion on this is at the meeting to talk to these gentlemen and voice that opinion. The overall tone of our police department comes from the top. So everyone that is sick of entrapment, the killing off of local businesses and the general bad attitude of our local police department better be there. There is a fine line between upholding the law and being a bully about it. Lets hope for better days and an attitude of cooperation trickling down from the top next time around.

So, What you have mention has only been voiced a a few. Most of the town thinks we are doing OK. Surprisingly incidents of these natures have been popping up in many local and state newspapers. I have my doubts of the PSO but some like the idea. I think an animal control officer is a better choice.