glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Boone and Ogden

Boone and Ogden Boone and Ogden, Iowa Forum -- includes Madrid (in Boone County)

Old 07-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Glurbmeister

Default Boone County Fair

Did anyone go to the Fair this year?
What did you think?

I thought it was one of the worst fairs Boone has ever had, seems like every year it gets smaller and smaller with less and less out there.

I have been comparing it to someone having a garage sale with only one
table of stuff out. - Why even bother!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:09 PM
O.G.

It was sad
Old 07-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Momma

Isn't your 4H community very large?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:35 PM
I haven't posted much

Default The Real Debate

I don't think that there can be any debate that this fair was beyond pathetic. The real question is what was the pathetic aspect of the fair?

The nearly nonexistent midway?
The barren exhibit building?
The drought of entries in the Open Class in the community building?
The lame entertainment options?

If I didn't know better, I'd bet dollars to donuts that they spent about a week organizing the event this year. A week is me being generous in my assessment.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:06 AM
Chuck

Most county fairs are like that. Its more of a qualifying livestock show so some can move on to state. Theres just not enought attendance to draw the big bucks.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:31 PM
I haven't posted much

Default More Extensive Fair Bashing

Perhaps, but the Boone County Fair didn't used to be quite so lame. The Community Building used to be fairly full of entries from throughout the county. This year there were only about 3 tables filled with crocheted items, baked items, and various forms of art. In years past, the Commercial Building was filled with various vendors hawking their wares. Including a Sno-Cone vendor, which truth be known is the thing that I miss the most. This year there was only the two standard political party booths, the humane society, Pampered Chef, Ensley Photography, and some information on the day when people go out and help clean up the Des Moines River. The building was less than half full.

Frankly I've never been a fan of midways. Carnies scare me. Not in the Austin Powers "small hands and smell like cabbage way", but in the "wow that is the cleanest AC/DC t-shirt you could find to wear to work" sort of way. However, usually the number of rides at the midway is able to break the double digit barrier. Not this year.

As for the entertainment? I won't hack on it too much. The main problem with the entertainment is it lacks creativity. Every single year they book a demolition derby and a tractor pull. I'm personally interested in neither, but it sure beats going out to the Speedway to watch cars turn left.

I will give the Fair Board some respect for getting Jason Brown for entertainment. He is a local talent and that is always nice to see. However, there are a lot of other good local bands around. They could have easily booked area groups like Obsidian's Dream or Slaughterhouse 6 or the Boone Big Band and put them on a free stage.

Admittedly fairs are about livestock. However, as the population base begins moving (which it started doing well over 50 years ago) away from agricultural jobs, fairs need to evolve or they will slowly be going the way of the dodo bird. The Boone County Fair looks to be halfway there.

One last thing, if it wasn't for 4-H, there would be any reason left to go to the fair. Except for perhaps the tasty morsels served up at the FUMC Food Stand.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:48 PM
I haven't posted much

Send a message via ICQ to april_lyon Send a message via MSN to april_lyon Send a message via Yahoo to april_lyon
Default Boone County fair

I went to the fair and it sucked sorry to say. I went last year and thought it was great but Smiths had a better deal where they made more mmney so hell why not take it? Just my opinion.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Glurbmeister

There WAS NO Tractor Pull this year. It usually occurs the Sunday before the Fair starts. They DID NOT have it at all this year.
Demo Derby.
Jason Brown.
Stock Truck Pull.
& Combine Demo Derby.
NO TRACTOR PULL this year. Which usually draws a good crowd.
The other events wouldn't be so bad, if they actually had a clue in the stands what was going on down on the track so they could announce it correctly, and if they acutally started on time.
And Carnies are supposed to be freaky looking (at least that seems to be the stereotype) - not non-existent, especially at a FAIR!!!
Felt bad for the 4-H'ers from out of town with nothing to do on downtime -- at least not at the fairgrounds!!
Old 03-13-2008, 06:26 AM
Glurbanzo Bean

Have you gone into the BooneCountyfair.com? They have things going on and questions. And asking what groups for entertainment etc you would like to see. Maybe you can get something going this way.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:07 AM
I haven't posted much

If you go to that website it takes you to the Illinois Boone County. In order to check out Iowa Boone County Fairgrounds you need to visit www.co.boone.ia.us