glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Boone and Ogden

Boone and Ogden Boone and Ogden, Iowa Forum -- includes Madrid (in Boone County)

Old 02-10-2008, 10:34 AM
glurber in training

It is a lot of work to be a “Volunteer” on the Pufferbilly or Fair Committee, it is very hard work and requires long hours during the actual event. Volunteers are hard to find that will give so much of their time and even money to make an event happen. When it is all over they then have to listen to all of the “arm chair quarterbacks” that are quick to criticize but would not dare offer any real assistance.
Attend the meetings before the event, get involved, help out, I am sure the committee would welcome your help. It is hard work but can be very rewarding when one of your ideas is put into place and makes an event better.
Thank You to those on the Committee who work so hard, Thank You very much!
Old 02-10-2008, 12:15 PM
I haven't posted much

Send a message via Yahoo to raedee8n
Default Pufferbilly Days

I love to collect the Pufferbilly Days buttons. Silly, but I have gone to Boone, just to buy my collectors button. I enjoy the free street shows and my button gets me into the dances. It is just a good time to see people that you know from all over. Yes, it is busy, but you are sure to find someone you know that you have not talked to in awhile. I am a people watcher, so it is fun for me to just walk around and watch all the people. GO PUFFERBILLY DAYS!!! Thank-you, volunteers!
Old 02-10-2008, 12:20 PM
glurber in training

Default puffer days

maybe they should look at differnt times,and weekends
Old 02-11-2008, 01:09 AM
glurber in training

What different weekend would you suggest. Shortly before is already taken with Labor day. Before that is State fair time. After it there is always 2 weekends of Thomas the Tank which also brings a lot of traffic and crowds to Boone. It's a perfect weekend for one last good blast before the kids have to really buckle down to school work. So what if Nationals is all that week. The more the merrier. No weekend is going to satisfy everyone - there will always be some conflict. I think the timing is great.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:05 AM
glurber in training

Thomas the Tank is more family oriented. However, no week end will work for everyone.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Glurbanzo Bean

No-that is true-you can't satisfy everyone, but it would be nice if they would seperate the weekends they do all these activities. Why do we need Thomas the Tank two weekends in a row?
Old 02-11-2008, 08:30 AM
O.G.

Send a message via Skype™ to jmmather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddytoo View Post
No-that is true-you can't satisfy everyone, but it would be nice if they would separate the weekends they do all these activities. Why do we need Thomas the Tank two weekends in a row?
You don't need Thomas at all, however, it is one of the biggest attractions Boone and the Scenic Valley have and it goes a long way to supporting your biggest tourist attraction for the year.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Glurbanzo Bean

What happened to the Kate Shelley Bridge and the Mamie Eisenhower house and the museum etc. Those are attractions too. Suppose to be anyway.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:01 AM
O.G.

Send a message via Skype™ to jmmather

So sell them to the public but I'll guarantee that all those together won't bring in the people that Thomas will.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:20 AM
glurber in training

Anything that brings tourists to a town should be considered a plus - even if it is something that you aren't a fan of. We live right by the Scenic Valley and I can tell you all the traffic those weekends are a real hassle. Half the time its hard to even get in our own drive-way. But we put up with it for different reasons. It is a boost to the economy here. Its fun to see where all of them come from by the license plates - amazing the distance some come. While they are here they do visit some of the other historical sites. We've had people approach us while outsite to ask us where various points of interest are at. They need it for 2 weekends because there is NO way they could handle the crowds that come in one weekend. Its almost too much for just 2. And having the different events to help support the scenic valley is really nice. We went on the Pumpkin patch event last year with the grandkids and they had a blast. Would liked to have gone on the Polar Express venture for Christmas but it was sold out. The train station is also very busy during Pufferbilly's. It takes a lot to cordinate all the different events and place them calendar wise to where they are going to have the least conflict with other events. They also have to squeeze in the weekend now that the Farm show is going to be here. All are good things, some I don't really care for and won't attend them, but I'm not going to bash it just because I don't. If it gets too crazy with noise and traffic we just pack up and go on a picnic and fishing or something to have some peace and quiet.

Last edited by IowaMa; 02-11-2008 at 11:22 AM.