glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Boone and Ogden

Boone and Ogden Boone and Ogden, Iowa Forum -- includes Madrid (in Boone County)

Old 09-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Chuck

Thumbs down He was also at the State Fair this yr

makes it even more unattractive for a quick return show at Pufferbilly days not a whole lot of thought was made on this return engagement
Old 09-05-2007, 02:53 PM
O.G.

I think you are off the mark a bit. Jason Brown is a local Talent and it seems, from what I can tell, a lot of people do like him. He is relatively cheap and as a decent grass roots locally.

New Blood? yeah would be nice..... but at the same time there may be a demand to see him...

on a side note, he also played at the Straw Poll last month too....

Last edited by leadfoot; 09-05-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:03 PM
I haven't posted much

Default PUFFERBILLY DAYS

No Art in the Park?? What are these people thinking? Now I have no reason to even go to Pufferbilly Days on Sunday now. And did they get rid of the antique car show too? These were two draws for people to the park and now they are gone. I can see why it's slowly fading away.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Chuck

I understand that Art in the Park had turned into just more of the same booths as seen on Saturday downtown, and so they decided to stop repeating it on Sunday, but the real killer was the cost of the buses to transport everyone form DMACC parking lot to the McHose site for free. I would have charged 50 cents or $1.00 per head for round trip.
Hoping it comes back in the future with the real original intent of showcasing local artists and their work.

The antique car show is now moved downtown on Thursday nite as part of the kickoff festivities.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot View Post
I think you are off the mark a bit. Jason Brown is a local Talent and it seems, from what I can tell, a lot of people do like him. He is relatively cheap and as a decent grass roots locally.

New Blood? yeah would be nice..... but at the same time there may be a demand to see him...

on a side note, he also played at the Straw Poll last month too....

Local talent or not, don't you realize that 4 times in 2 months is very much overkill or overexposure....They should have been looking for much higher stature entertainment than Brown or the Nadas, they were here last yr. As I said and I am sure am not in the minority, they were supposed to look for fresh talent, not just repeat cheap talent.

Last edited by cyfan2; 09-05-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Glurbmeister

The car show was moved to Thursday (tonight). Although I know I saw an ad on TV that said it was Friday.
Jason Brown played the Iowa State Fair too and he has 2 upcoming concerts at The Venue in Boone (check out their web-site for info - think it's partyatthevenue.com) I am not saying he is good or bad, but it seems like he has played quite a bit around here lately. It would be nice to see different bands and different kinds of music.
The also used to put more focus on the RR stuff, like Kate Shelley and stuff. It would be more fun to have more Hobos around too. The one guy usually comes (I can't remember his name right off hand).
Definitely having no Art in the Park sucks. Who cares if it was the same vendors that were downtown that went to art in the park. I WILL NOT even ATTEMPT to go downtown after the parade -- way too busy!! So, the only thing I will be attending this year, since they screwed it all up is the parade on Saturday morning.
Oh, one more thing, I really do NOT think Buttons should be required to go to the shows - fine if you can get in with one, but not everyone wants to see all the activities that a button requires. And with many from out of town for the Super Nationals, maybe they have limited time to get away, they should make paying at the event to watch it an option too, rather than always having to have the button!!!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Glurbmeister

And NO ONE has any comments about Pufferbilly Days now that it is actually over?

As I said I would, I only attended the parade, and I don't even think that was as good as last year.

Also heard most of the people who normally went to the Beer Tent were at the Gigglin' Goat again (Why pay $8 for a button when you can get in there for $1?).
Old 09-12-2007, 01:57 PM
O.G.

I think its the official end to pufferdrunk days.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:03 PM
I haven't posted much

I know that there were a couple of vendors who would only show up for Art in the Park on Sunday only and so this year they didn't show up at all and they were ones I always purchased items from each year. Miss seeing them as they had been coming here for years. And I miss the park atmosphere and less walking to look at vendors. The craft ones downtown were spread out too far along Story Street and hardly any ones on side streets. I heard several years ago more craft vendors wanted to come but the committee limited the number to have. I would think more the merrier and now we didn't have all that many with just one day. Some of those people drive a long ways (one from Council Bluffs) and I wouldn't do it for just one day. At least at the park you could cool off in the shade under a tree and not bake on the hot concrete downtown. It was a big disappointment for many.

We need new entertainment, not those that have been around for a while alot lately. But this is just like the Boone County Fair. If people don't want to put forth the effort and make it better, it won't get better. It has to be a community effort-either volunteer time, set up a booth or foodstand, be on the planning committee, or at least attend the events. There are many people in Boone that have said how they've never been to the Boone County Fair or Pufferbilly Days. Now that's disapointing!
Old 09-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Glurbanzo Bean

Default pufferbilly days!!

Well we went to the parade or part of it anyway. Was it as big as last year? Didn't seem to be. We only stopped at one of the craft tables up town. I really can't get into the crafts like alot of people. And I noticed alot of them didn't seem to be as big as they had been in years past. And I agree. They use to have them down the side streets too. Why not-you can't drive on them this day anyway. If more vendors want to come let them for heavens sake.