glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Iowa (not city/town specific)

Iowa (not city/town specific) Iowa Forum

Old 07-06-2012, 10:00 AM

Default Teen Jumps Off Iowa Bridge For Fun, Breaks Leg

A thrill-seeking teenager has been injured after jumping off an eastern Iowa river bridge, renewing the concerns of some county officials who tried to ban the practice last year.

More...
Old 07-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Glurbmeister

If anyone is interested in going out there to bridge jump and maybe canoe drop me a note. I heading tomorrow before they make bridge jumping illegal.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Glurbmeister

It took quite a while to find the bridge. Most of the news stories said the bridge was Paris Road Bridge.

Quote:
KCRG-TV in Cedar Rapids reports that the boy broke his leg after jumping off the Paris Road Bridge and into the Wapsipinicon River on Tuesday. Authorities say it's one of several popular jumping bridges in Linn County.
When I found the Paris Road Bridge it looked like an odd location for bridge jumping because it was on a somewhat busy road and it was next to someone's back yard.

So I traced the Wapsipinicon River north and south a ways and finally found the bridge. It was on Sutton Road and the locals swimming in the river verified it was the jumping bridge.

It was a great location to put canoes in the river and to jump from a bridge. The one problem was that the river was only about 2 1/2 feet deep below the bridge. I can see how the guy broke his leg. I'll be back after a few good rains.