glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Boone and Ogden

Boone and Ogden Boone and Ogden, Iowa Forum -- includes Madrid (in Boone County)

Old 01-02-2009, 03:59 PM
glurber in training

I think Arctic Circle was the first food place there on 4th and Story. (Don't know what's there now.) They had a secret sauce on their burgers that would send you to the nurse before 6th period was over.

We Used to go to Hardees for lunch. Before that it was Sandys. We would get a cheeseburger, fries and a drink for a buck.

Lincoln Restraunt was on Mamie Eisenhower. Only ate there a couple of times with family and friends. They had the best fried chicken. The Lincoln highway was a wonderful thing for Boone.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:07 PM
glurber in training

the Artic Circle was where Taco Johns is now.I also remember their "secret sauce". There was a Clarks gas station north which is now a parking lot for the funural home. And across the street where the cell phone place is used to be a Pester Derby station.Remember "Pester it's a gas" slogan? And the Shangrila motel where subway is now.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:41 PM
glurber in training

when you filled up at the clark station you used to get a glass. They also gave out little orange balls you could put on your antenna. Owned by LaFoy Schultz.

Shangra La was another business brought on by the Lincoln Highway. Alot of businesses evolved around that. Any more?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:00 PM
glurber in training

Isn’t this Glurb a lot more interesting and enjoyable than the “3 cops killing a guy in Boone” pages?
A place in Boone I shouldn’t miss but do, the old “Cop Shop” when the jail was in the city hall building, with the fire Department and several other departments. Life was so much simpler then…
Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 AM
glurber in training

Well I haven't lived in Boone for about 20 years but I remember a few joints. Arctic Circle... did they have saddles set up for kids seats? I think my mom used to call that place "Acey Greasey" for some reason. When my dad used to drink I remember playing pinball at Wilson's and Munson's. Is "Hickory Haus" still there? Of course Boyd's Dairy, especially in West Boone...the lady there would let me turn on the conveyer belt to return the glass milk bottles. I know it's still there but I miss Casey's pizza. Damn, I need to come home for a visit.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:05 PM
glurber in training

Artic Circle/AceyGreasey was the place to hang out on Friday nights after a home football game in the late 70's. Man I loved that place - good times good times.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:26 PM
glurber in training

Do you remember when Artic Circle first opened there was no seating. You ordered it and took it home or ate it in the car on the way home.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:27 PM
glurber in training

When the movie was over everyone headed for southside Boyd's.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:47 PM
glurber in training

there was a popcorn stand next to south side Boyds, and across 9th street east of Story by the drinking fountain
Old 01-05-2009, 03:37 PM
glurber in training

The one on 9th was run by Klutes if I remember right.