glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Boone and Ogden

Boone and Ogden Boone and Ogden, Iowa Forum -- includes Madrid (in Boone County)

Old 03-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Glurbmeister

I remember Bowl-Mor, I used to go with my dad when he was in a league and I would take all his quarters to play the video games. I also remember and miss Big Bear and Randalls and what about the Round Up -- I remember they used to have line dancing lessons there. I don't remember what was where the Bakery is now, but I was working for they Dutch Oven bakery when they moved to that location from their old one -- at first I didn't like it, but where they are now is much nicer.
Anderson's market was always great too. Didn't we have a Dairy Sweet or something like that in East Boone somewhere - like on East Mamie Eisenhower or something. I vaguely remember an ice cream/restaruant place out there somewhere.
Oh, and the old Hotel Holst (where Bank of the West & Rose Hubby's offices are now) - I never got to go inside it, but I know many who were sad to see it go.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:33 AM
glurber in training

Default Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Edge View Post
How about the Disco, it was next to what is now (or was) Confetti's, it shouldnt count as "Businesses I miss" as I doubt anyone misses it. I canot recal its name, was only open for a year back in about 78.
It was the Picnic Disco.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:22 PM
glurber in training

How about the Holst Hotel and the Daniel Boone Lounge? In the early/mid 60's my mom got her hair fixed in the basement of the hotel. I'd go up to the coffee shop and get a glass of chocolate milk and a doughnut while she was there.
Later, in the early 70's Chuck Wilson opened the Colonial Kitchen there. I think He relocated from near where ecksteins Diamonds was located. That restraunt burned down. Later he moved his restraunt from the Holst to where the Bid-a-wee was located acrossed from the old Boone News Republican Building and the KWBG Radio Station was.
The Holst Hotel later was where the Railroad guys would stay when they got into town. I remember the condom machine in the bathroom where someone scrawled "don't buy this gum---it tastes like rubber" I drowned my sorrows many times in the DB.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:40 AM
glurber in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Edge View Post
A&W was on Mamie across and a little west from the Eastern star home, it closed in the mid 70's. The Elvis impersonator bought the building and sold satellite dishes from there.
Kelly's bought a different drive-in. The A & W was where the garage is now, across from the east part of the Eastern Star. The one Kelly's bought and made into a western wear store - when they first bought it -
was something that started with a "sch - schmidts, or schlits or somesuch. Can't remember.

The old A & W had coney's that even beat out the ones Lynn's Lounge puts out today!

There was a Dairy Sweet out on East Mamie.
I haven't seen the Cookie Jar mentioned on here, or how about Maggies?

If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:56 AM
glurber in training

How about all the mom and pop stores around the neighborhoods. I can remember going to Furgys and Reinhardts.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:46 AM
glurber in training

Freds Skelly station on 22nd and Linn. Pop for a dime, a reach in display case with gazillions of different types of candy, an old rech in ice cream freezer with just barely frozen pushup pops that were juuuuusssstttt right
Old 01-02-2009, 10:51 AM
junior glurber

Send a message via Yahoo to mopar28m

Remember Happy Day's? It was in the lot that is now empty beside the Taco John's. Our first night in Boone after we moved here, we went there to eat & hamburgers were 39 cents each & cheeseburgers were 49 cents each. They were small but they were good. They closed in 1995 I believe.

I miss the Remember Me Fleece shop uptown also.

This town is missing a good needleworks store. There is one in Waverly that has been thriving for almost 20 years.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:45 AM
glurber in training

Remember me Fleece is in Ames now.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:46 AM
glurber in training

How about Places, woolworths and Millers Variety store.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:52 AM
glurber in training

Where the bakery is it was Mondts resturant. Before it was there they had a hotel were the old Fareway is and it burnt down.