glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Newton

Newton Newton, Iowa Message Board -- includes Colfax and Mingo (in Jasper County)

Old 12-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Remember the Alamo

Default New Housing

In the old Maytag plant 1. I was involved in Maytag reconstruction years ago with plant 1 and 2. a nightmare cleaning out and redoing.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:37 PM
junior glurber

Yes, and now we get to subsidize to build, and subsidize to fill.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:51 PM
Remember the Alamo

We just be building our own projects, build it they will come.

I don't see much benefits to the city when they give grants and tax rebates for 10 years to any businesses coming in. I predict Montana Mikes, Pizza ranch will not last another year.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:06 PM
junior glurber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
We just be building our own projects, build it they will come.

I don't see much benefits to the city when they give grants and tax rebates for 10 years to any businesses coming in. I predict Montana Mikes, Pizza ranch will not last another year.
That be my point. Once everyone else's money runs out, then what? I still want to pound my head against the wall every time a city posterchild says it's paid for by the_____________ grant or the ___________grant, the city only has to come up with 20%,10% or whatever. Money we don't have. And that fed. grant, that's the people's money. And we continue to pay these people lofty salaries and create new positions so more of them can come and figure out new ways to screw us out of OUR money.

Last edited by tulenutn2o; 12-15-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:16 PM
Remember the Alamo

Long been one of Hansens favorite things TIF taxes. Just another way of borrowing money. He's been beating that drum for years, most of the city council just rubber stamps every thing. All the old gray harried members have died, retired. The council only knows what they are told none does any research, Nothing is broadcast on TV anymore and very little in the NDN.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:16 AM
junior glurber

Quote:
Long been one of Hansens favorite things TIF taxes. Just another way of borrowing money. He's been beating that drum for years, most of the city council just rubber stamps every thing. All the old gray harried members have died, retired. The council only knows what they are told none does any research, Nothing is broadcast on TV anymore and very little in the NDN.
True. Only people left to pay the bill is going to be the property tax payers. These developments usually don't pay, they just take.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:20 PM
junior glurber

Now the PAINT POLICE are coming! Really? What's next from this communist council? Apparently, no trailers past front of house, no peeling paint,.........may I paint my house white? I never thought I WOULD SEE A DAY WHERE an individual property owner cannot use their own property how they see fit. Seems that this council just wants to be in control of everything we do. Hey, guess what you @ss kizzin dirtbags, you still have to look at my trailer cause my driveway is perpendicular to side of my house, in full view.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Remember the Alamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulenutn2o View Post
Now the PAINT POLICE are coming! Really? What's next from this communist council? Apparently, no trailers past front of house, no peeling paint,.........may I paint my house white? I never thought I WOULD SEE A DAY WHERE an individual property owner cannot use their own property how they see fit. Seems that this council just wants to be in control of everything we do. Hey, guess what you @ss kizzin dirtbags, you still have to look at my trailer cause my driveway is perpendicular to side of my house, in full view.
??? unknown beautify Newton. I have wild flowers around a corner/ electric pole.

I'm complicating planting sweet corn on the parking along the sidewalks. Why waste any dirt growing grass when it could be used to grow food for humans.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:18 AM
junior glurber

Quote:
??? unknown beautify Newton. I have wild flowers around a corner/ electric pole.

I'm complicating planting sweet corn on the parking along the sidewalks. Why waste any dirt growing grass when it could be used to grow food for humans.
AH yes, but if not zoned ag, you be gettin a summon's from the code enforcer, ah yes you will.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:19 AM
junior glurber

Next, they will start charging a permit/fee/tax for a garden. I believe a gentlemen from Ankeny was telling me in class awhile back, that is what they do.