glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Ames, Iowa

Ames, Iowa Ames, Iowa Forum -- includes Cambridge, Gilbert, Huxley, Kelley, and Slater (in Story County)

Old 01-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsider View Post
Where is this Mucky Duck?
On south Duff where Char's used to be. 3100 S. Duff.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Chuck

There is a Chick-fil-A in Ames. It's in the Memorial Union, which makes it prohibitive for regular people since the only parking is the ramp.

Santa doesn't like Chick-fil-A because the CEO has Christian values (and won the lawsuit, btw).

Long John's is an annual Lenten tradition--had to get our "good grease" at least once a year. Whenever I went past the lot was usually full, which made me think business was good. I'm just sad to see it go. The food did all taste the same, though. Sometimes it was hard to tell which slab was chicken and which was fish.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:57 PM
glurber in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecyc View Post
What new developments are coming to South Duff in Ames?
There is a development going in where the old Quality motors and Happy Joe's used to be. Currently its held up as the city and businesses in that area are try to decide where to put a new intersection/street light in front of Walmart, and whether there should be a median on that area due to the number of accidents. Rumor is that Chick-fil-a wants to go in where the old Ames rental building is once the new intersection is constructed.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:06 PM
Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute typer View Post
There is a Chick-fil-A in Ames. It's in the Memorial Union, which makes it prohibitive for regular people since the only parking is the ramp.

Santa doesn't like Chick-fil-A because the CEO has Christian values (and won the lawsuit, btw).

Long John's is an annual Lenten tradition--had to get our "good grease" at least once a year. Whenever I went past the lot was usually full, which made me think business was good. I'm just sad to see it go. The food did all taste the same, though. Sometimes it was hard to tell which slab was chicken and which was fish.
I disagree that Homophobia is a Christian value, if that's what you mean. Long before I heard about their anti-gay stance I didn't think their food was very good.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:59 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico cat View Post
Rumor is that Chick-fil-a wants to go in where the old Ames rental building is once the new intersection is constructed.
I hope that happens. We've eaten at the MU twice and it was good both times. I love their ads.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:27 AM
Glurbanzo Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Claus View Post
I disagree that Homophobia is a Christian value, if that's what you mean. Long before I heard about their anti-gay stance I didn't think their food was very good.
I believe Jesus's main message was to love one another. He didn't put a * after that and say except if...
Old 01-27-2014, 08:57 AM
Glurbanzo Bean

Is it really any surprise that LJS went out of business? There are too many other places in Ames where you can get better fish and chicken.

I liked Quiznos until I got sick off of it five or six years ago and never went back. Their stupid singing rat Quizno commericals (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZrks-BPeLQ) probably did not help them out any.

The Qdoba closing was a little surprising to me. I cannot believe that Pancheros and Fighting Burrito were so much better than them that they could not compete.

Another business in Ames that I think will be gone before too long is KFC. If a Popey's were to come in, it would immediately kill what little business they still have.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:42 AM
glurber in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute typer View Post
I hope that happens. We've eaten at the MU twice and it was good both times. I love their ads.
Chik-Fil-A left the MU years ago. You obviously get out a lot.

And since you seem to know everything, tell us exactly what is failing at NGM? Got any proof of this?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribsnwhiskey View Post
Chik-Fil-A left the MU years ago. You obviously get out a lot.

And since you seem to know everything, tell us exactly what is failing at NGM? Got any proof of this?
Didn't know it left MU. I also said it's prohibitive because of accessibility.

Random outbursts of irrational anger much? Are you a secret Rhonda account?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Glurbanzo Bean

Looks like Aspen Leaf fro-yo is gone.