glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Boone and Ogden

Boone and Ogden Boone and Ogden, Iowa Forum -- includes Madrid (in Boone County)

Old 09-13-2013, 10:54 AM
glurber in training

Thumbs down 9th & Story park

I am very angry and sad to find out the park board is considering removing the caboose and train mural from the little park at 9th and Story! They want to do this to make room for another veteran's bench or memorial bricks and also want to repaint the train mural with a veterans mural. I am not against a larger veterans memorial, I am against the removal of the caboose and train mural as Boone's past is rich with railrad history - think Kate Shelley and Pufferbilly Days. We already removed the train car that was at the Kate Shelley museum in Moingona, which was a shame. I think a new veteran's mural should go on the newly painted red wall that covered the hideous mural that was painted for RAGBRAI. Nothing is at this empty lot so why not extend the veteran's memorial to that corner on the same block and leave our caboose and train mural alone!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:30 AM
Chuck

I agree.... That sounds like an excellent use of 'useless' property, and the RR mural can stay where it is. .........One doesn't have to be sacrificed to honor both.