glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Ames, Iowa

Ames, Iowa Ames, Iowa Forum -- includes Cambridge, Gilbert, Huxley, Kelley, and Slater (in Story County)

Old 02-26-2007, 04:03 PM
glurber in training

Default Where do you grocery shop in Ames?

I used to go to Hy-vee all the time but in the last 1 1/2 years I've been going to Fareway.

I think Fareway is not as expensive.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Glurbmeister

Have you tried Wal-Mart? they carry very good meats (at least in my town) and have all sorts of stuff. Thats where i grocery shop (taking the fact that i always go for groceries after 10 pm as they are 24/7 )

Last edited by danielsard; 02-26-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:40 PM
glurber in training

The Walmart in Ames doesn't have a grocery section.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Glurbmeister

oh, i see ... i wander if the relative closeness to Des Moines has something to do
Old 02-26-2007, 05:24 PM
junior glurber

Fareway in Ames seems to be way cheaper than Hy-vee or Cub. I go to Hy-vee sometimes if i want something fareway doesn'g have. I feel like a kid in a candy store there! Hardly ever go to cub. The prices at HyVee and Cub make me cringe. I just can't do it. Aldi's also is cheap and have some very good stuff. not everything, but sure is worth a try to see if you like their products.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:25 PM
junior glurber

Walmart? No way. Haven't been there in 4 years. I will not ever go to our new one in Ames. Just don't like them.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Glurbmeister

Fareway is definitely cheaper if you can handle how crowded the store is. I am like garden73 when I go to HyVee or Cub. I always end up bringing home a bunch more than I had planned to because they have such variety. But I about choke when I see how much more I pay for the basics.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:45 AM
junior glurber

I also think Fareway is alot easier to negotiate. It isnt' so darn huge! And after shopping there for 30+ years, i know where everything is and I know alot of the folks that work there.

They nicely deal with it if you have a problem with a product. The meat counter is great! I love it.

It's somewhat like a social center too. I see the folks who were friends of my parents and we chat, see neighnors and even highschool buddies. Many times it actually FUN to talk my way through the store.

I hope they never make it bigger and better and improved. It is just fine the way it is. Usually. ;-)
Old 02-27-2007, 07:27 AM
Glurbmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by garden73 View Post
Walmart? No way. Haven't been there in 4 years. I will not ever go to our new one in Ames. Just don't like them.
They opened a new one? Nice!!! :clapping: ... sorry, im the kind of person that would visit WM for hours with absolute no reason
Old 02-27-2007, 07:48 AM
junior glurber

no, not open yet. Start bldg any time and will probalby be open fall 2008. I'm so proud to be a 2 wal mart town. :-(