glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Ames, Iowa

Ames, Iowa Ames, Iowa Forum -- includes Cambridge, Gilbert, Huxley, Kelley, and Slater (in Story County)

Old 02-09-2011, 01:05 AM
Glurber

Default Truck Traffic On Dayton

Is it just me, or are the truckers leaving the factories and the mine getting more and more rude and ballsy these days. Several times over the last few months I've had the car in front of me or even me myself have to slam on the breaks cause some trucker has come barreling out of Hach or Becker-Underwood, or is coming off of Riverside road from the mine. The UPS drivers are just as bad. Just an observation, but one day someone is gonna get hurt or killed due to Truck driver negligence, and not paying attention to cars driving that road.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Glurbmeister

It's not just you. I've noticed this over the last several months as well. They are getting more and more aggressive in their driving. I'm pretty tired of getting cut-off driving home from work.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:37 AM
junior glurber

The following is a true story of how a mosquito saved my life at the Dayton Avenue and Lincoln Way intersection.

It was about 3 years ago. Around 9am. I was stopped on Lincoln Way waiting for the red light to turn green.

A mosquito had found it's way into my car and was buzzing around my ear. I swiped at it then it went away.

The light turned green.

I took my foot off the brake and started to proceed through the intersection.

Just then I felt the mosquito stinging my ankle. OUCH.

No one was behind me so I took my foot off the accelerator and swiped at the mosquito on my ankle. Right then, a Manatts concrete mixer blew through his red light.

If I hadn't slowed down to kill the mosquito, the truck would have killed me.

I try not to kill as many mosquitos now. I owe them a big thank you.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:58 AM
Banned

I try not to kill anything period. I don't even like to drag a fish out of water. I guess that's nuts but for years I hunted fished and didn't think much about the killing. I did consume what I killed. Now I don't even kill a bug or a worm unless by accident. You never know who's running this show here on earth and I'm keeping the book open on that.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:17 AM
Glurber

Is this problem still an issue now a days? im not in the area anymore, but still have friends and family who take those roads, so was wondering if it ever got resolved.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:06 PM
junior glurber

I'd say still an issue. There is multiple times more big truck traffic on Dayton then there seems to be on Lincoln Way.

And let me tell you the trucks on Dayton don't worry about the small cars crossing the intersection on Lincoln Way.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Glurber