glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Ames, Iowa

Ames, Iowa Ames, Iowa Forum -- includes Cambridge, Gilbert, Huxley, Kelley, and Slater (in Story County)

Old 02-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Glurber

Default Hunky Dorys

I realize that something else is in the old Hunky Dorys building, but was wondering if anyone would be interested if someone opened a similar establishment. I know line dancing isn't as "in" as it use to be, but some folks still enjoy doing it, and karaoke is really big now a days as well. I would think someone could make a decent business just on those two attractions along with running it as a bar, and not to mention having bands play. Any thoughts or comments on this? Throw a few pool tables, dart board machines, pinball machines in, and you got yourself a decent little hang out if you ask me. Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there, lemme know what you all think.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:43 AM
glurber in training

Sounds like you should do it, Leroy.
Good luck finding enough employees that won't rob you blind, give away all the booze, and drink free liquor all night while they're working, if the even bother to show up.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Glurber

I'm not that business savvy, but surely someone could be. My fiancee and I use to go there every thursday night for line dancing and almost every weekend for a while there, it was alot of fun. All the good taverns are closing up, and all that's left are dive bars that cater to the younger crowd and forget about us "old farts" who like to go have a couple drinks, do a little dancing, maybe sing some karaoke or listen to a band, and maybe even throw a few darts at the wall. Not really too much to ask. No everyone wants to go to a club where they are blaring crappy music meant for younger people, or deal with young punks hell bent on getting drunk and trying to cause problems. Some of us just want to go out and have a good time, and all our old hang outs are closing up or selling out and becoming something other than what they use to be. If I ever did run a bar it would be a place where folks my age could enjoy themselves, and not need to worry about drama or have to talk over music that's too damn loud.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:57 PM
glurber in training

That's what I'm trying to tell you, Leroy. It's not easy or cheap to run a restaurant.
Just because you think it would be fun, doesn't mean that any person that was "business savvy" would think it be a good financial decision.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Banned

When I was real young I worked at a dive Boone and made more money skimming than the boss paid per hour. I think it was the "Oasis." It was an oasis also.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Remember the Alamo

Everyone thinks its a fun and easy thing, Bar/restaurants come and go. Take off your socks and start counting all the business's that have gone under in the last few years.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 AM
Glurber

I actually bartended for two previous owners of my town's local bar, and it was a great experience. Small town bars are fairly easy to operate from my observations, large town bars in principle can be easy too if you got the right help (i.e employees), and the right attractions, whether it be karaoke, line dancing, pool and dart leagues, bands, etc.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:07 AM
I haven't posted much

that place was actually a blast as 'The Filmore' around 1981, a new wave bar. I remember having a blast there with a minneapolis band 'the phones', dancing with a pretty girl I knew from high school. it was a nightclub with style, class and fun. Way beyond anything Ames has had before or since

It began as 'Night Fever' disco (real original name) before that, slightly before my time

right or wrong, DUI laws have killed night clubs. 2 glasses of wine can ruin a young woman's life, and without the young women in the clubs, what's the point of clubbing? I'd be the first to tell her 'it's not worth the risk'

Last edited by cardwell; 03-01-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:34 AM
Glurber

All I'm saying is for us old farts who use to enjoy going in there with our wives or girlfriends and having a few beers and scooting a boot or three around the old hardwood, they should reopen it, or someone should open a similar establishment in the area. Just because all the young kids don't like it anymore, don't mean us old farts shouldn't be catered to every now and then, or does that just make too much sense?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Glurbmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low_Ton_Leroy View Post
All I'm saying is for us old farts who use to enjoy going in there with our wives or girlfriends and having a few beers and scooting a boot or three around the old hardwood, they should reopen it, or someone should open a similar establishment in the area. Just because all the young kids don't like it anymore, don't mean us old farts shouldn't be catered to every now and then, or does that just make too much sense?
It would make more sense if there were more "old farts" like you who were of the same mind that you would be able to sustain a business like that. Business people don't care how old the customer is as long as they spend their money. It could be your demographic isn't spending their money that way anymore.