glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Ames, Iowa

Ames, Iowa Ames, Iowa Forum -- includes Cambridge, Gilbert, Huxley, Kelley, and Slater (in Story County)

Old 07-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Glurber

Post PRESS RELEASE - NOTICE OF IMMINENT CONSTRUCTION AND CURRENT CONSTRUCTION UPDATES

Attached is our Notice of Construction regarding the resurfacing of Lincoln Way from Squaw Creek east to Oak Avenue. As of Tuesday July 7 the north lanes will be closed and we'll have head-to-head traffic on the south lanes. Please circulate as you see fit. We are setting up message boards today and will be distributing notices to affected residents in the neighborhood. See: http://www.cityofames.org/modules/sh...cumentid=22467

Additionally, I'd like to pass on a few updates on other major projects:

24th Street (Union Pacific RR to Hayes Avenue) - Due to the rain we've had in the past few weeks we are behind schedule. However, we paved the north half of the roadway this past Monday and the plan is to pave the southern half tomorrow (Thursday July 2). Once mainline paving operations are complete the remaining work includes pouring back drives and around intake / manhole structures as well as restorative clean-up. If all goes well and weather cooperates, one lane in each direction should be open no later than Friday July 10. Hopefully earlier. Once we have traffic flowing again on 24th, there are no planned closures for the duration of the project. I know we all want this opened back up and believe me when I tell you that we are pushing for this to happen, weather depending.

ISU Research Park Phase III - Roundabout Paving - This project too is behind schedule due to the precipitation we've recently received. The contractor is having trouble finishing up other projects in order to move to ours. If all goes well they plan to move in and close Airport Road @ University to begin construction of the east half of the roundabout on Monday July 6.

That's all for now. For more information and additional updates please visit the City of Ames Construction Update page or follow this link: http://www.cityofames.org/index.aspx?page=947
Old 07-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Chuck

A roundabout in a busy area where semis can no longer turn left. This in an area where shipping departments abound!

Do you realize semis make wide left turns in the first place? Now, with a roundabout, they will have to drive across the median.

Good job, city planners. Who do you think we are? Fukking Europe?!?
Old 07-07-2015, 08:47 AM
Momma

It's not just Europe anymore. Roundabouts work.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:13 PM
glurber in training

Don't you think they will make the roundabout big enough for semis to use?
Old 07-12-2015, 10:36 AM
glurber in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUhc View Post
Don't you think they will make the roundabout big enough for semis to use?
Yes, it is designed for semis to use too.