glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Newton

Newton Newton, Iowa Message Board -- includes Colfax and Mingo (in Jasper County)

Old 11-26-2014, 07:07 PM
Remember the Alamo

Default Going out of business sale

Today was the final sale day of Newton feed. I went to see the signs says 30-50% off Kind of deceiving that's only on select items. not included were things that could be sent back to the manufacturer. I only wanted some straw but it was still at full price.

I talked with the owner, he implied the city was forcing him to sell so they can build low income housing, which I found hard to believe as it wasn't in the local paper and would have to be emirate domain. Not sure why he lied to me other than just telling me he was retiring and made very little money at the store.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:33 PM
junior glurber

The Seed store did sell to the city for 150k, maybe slightly less. The owners held out. City put them in the urban renewal area years ago, basically put so much uncertainty, that no one would buy building. Then the water department let their roof go to he!!, which damaged the seed store. Needless to say, no money put into building with threat of eminent domain...yada yada yada. I thought about buying it years ago, and that scared me off(urban renewal district). And city is looking to build more low income housing, some senior included. More subsidies,etc. What was straw up their, I forgot to go get some.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Remember the Alamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulenutn2o View Post
The Seed store did sell to the city for 150k, maybe slightly less. The owners held out. City put them in the urban renewal area years ago, basically put so much uncertainty, that no one would buy building. Then the water department let their roof go to he!!, which damaged the seed store. Needless to say, no money put into building with threat of eminent domain...yada yada yada. I thought about buying it years ago, and that scared me off(urban renewal district). And city is looking to build more low income housing, some senior included. More subsidies,etc. What was straw up their, I forgot to go get some.
He told me $7,50/ bale which was the old price, signs in the window said 30% off.

I didn't buy anything, lots were gone. perhaps sent back to the vendor.

I'll be watching the local free classified for straw, Earl M have it for $8.

I use chopped leaves, grass cuttings that haven't been poisoned. once in a while there is free compost, thinking it may be barnyard stuff. The landfill has free compost old leaves.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Remember the Alamo

So confused, I drive by and see new signs in the window, 50% off, make offer.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Remember the Alamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
So confused, I drive by and see new signs in the window, 50% off, make offer.
Selling everything,
Old 12-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Remember the Alamo

I've always bought plants/seeds from them and most every place in town I'll be doinhg a lot from menards and perhaps some mail order It seems like all the locals Have very high prices recently. selling only singles, doubles and a few rare 4 packs. Menards had 6 packs.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:11 AM
junior glurber

I, too, would buy my plants from there. They were always so big and healthy. I guess coxe's greenhouse is the only one left. I start the majority of my seeds inside, myself, but still buy a few things at the greenhouse.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Remember the Alamo

Quote:
I, too, would buy my plants from there. They were always so big and healthy. I guess coxe's greenhouse is the only one left. I start the majority of my seeds inside, myself, but still buy a few things at the greenhouse.
There's Henderson's flower/green house. NOt too far from the pool
Old 12-19-2014, 03:14 PM
junior glurber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
There's Henderson's flower/green house. NOt too far from the pool
Yes but, for whatever reason, I do not do much business there.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Remember the Alamo

Quote:
Yes but, for whatever reason, I do not do much business there.
Nor do I, I very seldom send flowers as I consider it a waste of money, and they have a short life span.

Once in a while I have found some veg plants not available any where else.
Rob is a nice enough guy but still a business man selling whatever plants, flowers grown in south America.
And just like every plant seller what ever off the truck from the south/green houses and a few he grows, in his greenhouse.

Seed often = $-5 plant or $2-4- 4pack.