glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Newton

Newton Newton, Iowa Message Board -- includes Colfax and Mingo (in Jasper County)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-26-2014, 07:07 PM
ralph ralph is offline
Remember the Alamo
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,521
Images: 1
Default Going out of business sale

Today was the final sale day of Newton feed. I went to see the signs says 30-50% off Kind of deceiving that's only on select items. not included were things that could be sent back to the manufacturer. I only wanted some straw but it was still at full price.

I talked with the owner, he implied the city was forcing him to sell so they can build low income housing, which I found hard to believe as it wasn't in the local paper and would have to be emirate domain. Not sure why he lied to me other than just telling me he was retiring and made very little money at the store.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-27-2014, 08:33 PM
tulenutn2o tulenutn2o is offline
junior glurber
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 149
Default

The Seed store did sell to the city for 150k, maybe slightly less. The owners held out. City put them in the urban renewal area years ago, basically put so much uncertainty, that no one would buy building. Then the water department let their roof go to he!!, which damaged the seed store. Needless to say, no money put into building with threat of eminent domain...yada yada yada. I thought about buying it years ago, and that scared me off(urban renewal district). And city is looking to build more low income housing, some senior included. More subsidies,etc. What was straw up their, I forgot to go get some.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-10-2014, 04:12 PM
ralph ralph is offline
Remember the Alamo
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,521
Images: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulenutn2o View Post
The Seed store did sell to the city for 150k, maybe slightly less. The owners held out. City put them in the urban renewal area years ago, basically put so much uncertainty, that no one would buy building. Then the water department let their roof go to he!!, which damaged the seed store. Needless to say, no money put into building with threat of eminent domain...yada yada yada. I thought about buying it years ago, and that scared me off(urban renewal district). And city is looking to build more low income housing, some senior included. More subsidies,etc. What was straw up their, I forgot to go get some.
He told me $7,50/ bale which was the old price, signs in the window said 30% off.

I didn't buy anything, lots were gone. perhaps sent back to the vendor.

I'll be watching the local free classified for straw, Earl M have it for $8.

I use chopped leaves, grass cuttings that haven't been poisoned. once in a while there is free compost, thinking it may be barnyard stuff. The landfill has free compost old leaves.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-11-2014, 03:31 PM
ralph ralph is offline
Remember the Alamo
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,521
Images: 1
Default

So confused, I drive by and see new signs in the window, 50% off, make offer.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-13-2014, 01:55 PM
ralph ralph is offline
Remember the Alamo
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,521
Images: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
So confused, I drive by and see new signs in the window, 50% off, make offer.
Selling everything,
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-18-2014, 10:35 AM
ralph ralph is offline
Remember the Alamo
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,521
Images: 1
Default

I've always bought plants/seeds from them and most every place in town I'll be doinhg a lot from menards and perhaps some mail order It seems like all the locals Have very high prices recently. selling only singles, doubles and a few rare 4 packs. Menards had 6 packs.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-19-2014, 08:11 AM
tulenutn2o tulenutn2o is offline
junior glurber
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 149
Default

I, too, would buy my plants from there. They were always so big and healthy. I guess coxe's greenhouse is the only one left. I start the majority of my seeds inside, myself, but still buy a few things at the greenhouse.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-19-2014, 12:06 PM
ralph ralph is offline
Remember the Alamo
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,521
Images: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulenutn2o View Post
I, too, would buy my plants from there. They were always so big and healthy. I guess coxe's greenhouse is the only one left. I start the majority of my seeds inside, myself, but still buy a few things at the greenhouse.
There's Henderson's flower/green house. NOt too far from the pool
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-19-2014, 03:14 PM
tulenutn2o tulenutn2o is offline
junior glurber
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
There's Henderson's flower/green house. NOt too far from the pool
Yes but, for whatever reason, I do not do much business there.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-20-2014, 12:35 PM
ralph ralph is offline
Remember the Alamo
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,521
Images: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulenutn2o View Post
Yes but, for whatever reason, I do not do much business there.
Nor do I, I very seldom send flowers as I consider it a waste of money, and they have a short life span.

Once in a while I have found some veg plants not available any where else.
Rob is a nice enough guy but still a business man selling whatever plants, flowers grown in south America.
And just like every plant seller what ever off the truck from the south/green houses and a few he grows, in his greenhouse.

Seed often = $-5 plant or $2-4- 4pack.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
I got a brand new pair of roller skates!