glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Marshalltown

Marshalltown Marshalltown, Iowa Message Board -- includes Rhodes, State Center, Tama, and Toledo (in Marshall County)

Old 02-11-2009, 11:00 AM

Default Lawmakers say: Hang up and drive

DES MOINES - Some Iowa legislators have a message for cell phone users: stop talking or texting while driving. A measure being considered in the Legislature would fine drivers $30 if they used their phones while behind the wheel. ''It doesn't make sense anymore,'' said Rep. Ako Abdul-Samad, D-Des Moines.

More...
Old 02-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Remember the Alamo

I bet this doesn't pass.

Does anyone know if other States have banned cell phone use while driving?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50201 View Post
I bet this doesn't pass.

I'll bet it does pass.

Cell Phone Driving Laws

Current state cell phone driving law highlights include the following:
  • Handheld Cell Phone Bans for All Drivers: 5 states (California, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York and Washington), the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands prohibit all drivers from talking on handheld cell phones while driving.
    • With the exception of Washington State, these laws are all primary enforcement—an officer may ticket a driver for using a handheld cell phone while driving without any other traffic offense taking place.
  • All Cell Phone Bans: No state completely bans all types of cell phone use (handheld and hands-free) for all drivers, but many prohibit cell phone use by certain segments of the population.
    • Novice Drivers: 17 states and the District of Columbia ban all cell use by novice drivers.
    • School Bus Drivers: In 17 states and the District of Columbia, school bus drivers are prohibited from all cell phone use when passengers are present.
  • Text Messaging: 7 states (Alaska, California, Connecticut, Louisiana, Minnesota, New Jersey and Washington) and the District of Columbia have a text messaging ban for all drivers.
    • Novice Drivers: 9 states prohibit text messaging by novice drivers.
    • School Bus Drivers: 6 states legally restrict school bus drivers from texting while driving.
  • Preemption Laws: 8 states have laws that prohibit local jurisdictions from enacting restrictions. In 6 other states, localities are allowed to ban cell phone use.
  • Some states, such as Utah and New Hampshire, treat cell phone use as a larger distracted driving issue.
    • Utah considers speaking on a cellphone to be an offense only if a driver is also committing some other moving violation (other than speeding).
  • Here is a list of country's that ban cell phones while driving and a list of states that either ban or are debating some form of ban.
http://www.cellular-news.com/car_bans/

Last edited by Santa Claus; 02-11-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Remember the Alamo

It's not that I don't want it to become law, I will just be surprised if it does pass this year.

I wonder if there are any stats on injuries or deaths (in Iowa) that are attributed to cell phone use.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Glurbmeister

Angry Safety First

I would like it to pass for safety's sake... a couple in my family text while driving and I'm thankful to God they hadnt been in an accident yet how drawn away from driving they get when they are on their phones, specially when they actually chat in their blackberry and iphone respectively it is unreal
Old 01-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Remember the Alamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50201 View Post
I bet this doesn't pass.

I must admit that this is not the reason I thought the ban wouldn't pass: