glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Nevada, Iowa > Nevada Businesses

Nevada Businesses (looking for input)

Old 09-23-2013, 12:44 PM
junior glurber

Default Painter recommendations?

We need at least one room (including ceiling and some woodwork), maybe more, painted. A bit of plaster-crack-filling too, but very little. I'll be honest - I'm picky, so I want a painter that will pay attention to detail and be very precise with crown molding, etc.

Any recommendations of someone local?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Remember the Alamo

I recommend Cutting Edge Painting for quality...not necessarily for customer service. Maybe they were so busy but I had to keep calling and emailing them to remind them to give me an estimate.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Chuck

We are in the market for this, also. Crown molding in every room and we don't have the patience or skill to draw teeny tiny straight lines four times to get it perfect. ....McLovin, do you think it would be better/easier to pull down the crown molding and just replace it after painting? Easier, yes, but idk about the results.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:44 PM
junior glurber

There is no way were taking ours down unless we have to. Much of ours was added about 20 years ago. Looks original, but it's not. I wouldn't be surprised if there is glue which will result in damaged plaster. Honestly,I'm not afraid of the painting. It will just take time. But we have some cracking around windows that were replaced last year. I want the plaster fixed right, not cobbled together by us.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Chuck

Plaster is a whole different ballgame. Ours is drywall so would be easier to patch/re-texturize if it tears. Both would take a huge amount of time. When we discussed which way to go, we looked and there are no nail holes so it probably has glue under there. What were they thinking?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Remember the Alamo

LOL I've had those same thoughts and wanted to call the previous owner up so I could kick his as. but there was lots of owners in the last 100 years. (built in 1900)
no matter what you do there is going to be damage removing the molding, crown molding is usually several different pieces of molding one on top of another not just one piece. perhaps even 3 pieces,the outer most ones would cover the nail holes of the first, I always counter sink the nails slightly below the surface as does any good finish carpenters, and fill the hole with either wood putty or a bit of glue and sand paper it to fill with wood dust of the same color.