glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Newton > Newton area news & Forecast

Newton area news & Forecast Read it here

Old 06-14-2018, 03:17 PM

Default Salvation Army to host women’s social Saturday

Father’s Day might be the manliest of holidays, but for Newton residents looking to get in a little more girl time, they can head over to the Salvation Army this Saturday.

Starting at 2 p.m., the Salvation Army will be hosting a mother/daughter social, an event Captain Janelle Cleaveland is hoping will bring will bring women in community together.

“We just wanted people to have a chance to come out and enjoy their time together,” Cleveland said.

Just don’t call it a tea —*Cleaveland isn’t a fan, so she’s planning on offering alternative refreshments at the event, which will have a Disney themed twist. To Cleveland, hosting a “tea” felt too formal. She’s looking to create an event where local women in the community feel comfortable spending time with one another.

“I don’t drink tea,” Cleaveland said. *“You know when you say tea it just kind of sounds more formal, this is more about coming together for fellowship.”

Pairing her love of all things Disney with a religious message felt like a good fit to Cleaveland, who’s dressing up in costume and encouraging other guests to dress as their favorite Disney characters.

“I encourage people to dress up as their favorite Disney character, so we’ll see how it turns out, but I’m excited about it,” Cleaveland said.

Attendees will have a chance to enjoy appetizers and refreshments while playing a variety of Disney themed games, as well as a chance to hear a religious message, the love of God.

Even though this is the first time she’s hosted the event in Newton, Cleaveland said she’s hoping it will take off. After hosting similar events during previous stops in her career, Cleaveland said she’s excited to give local women a forum where they can spend time with one another. In the past, she’s enjoyed watching women from different backgrounds come together and find a common connection at the events, something she’s hoping to foster in Newton.

“It doesn’t matter what walk of life you come from, we all need fellowship,” Cleaveland said. “It’s great to get together, no matter where you’re from.”

Father’s Day weekend might seem like an unlikely date to host a women’s fellowship event, but Cleaveland said the timing is coincidental. In the midst of a weekend full of “girl time,” Cleaveland still plans to spend time with her dad —*he’s offered to help her set up for the event this weekend.

“My parents are coming into town, they’re on vacation so I’m putting them to work,” Cleaveland said.

Contact David Dolmage at 641-792-3121 ext. 6532 or ddolmage@newtondailynews.com

More...