glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Grinnell

Grinnell Grinnell, Iowa Message Board (in Poweshiek County)

Old 12-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Momma

I thought all Walmarts had the same floor plan.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Glurbmeister

I wish they all the same floor plan. Every Wal-Mart I've seen is different, from the Newton one to the Windsor Heights one I used to visit during my Drake years.

Tonight my wife and I bought a car seat from Wal-Mart. It's a Cosco Scenera. The shelf price listed it at $39.84 but it rang up as $49.84. We paid the higher price and then went to customer service. On the way, I grabbed the display card from inside its plastic holder (back at the car seats) to show the list price and what we paid. Here's the twist - Wal-Mart was using an old display card. The UPC didn't match. The "Look for model: XXX" had been over written to "D40" with a magic marker.

So we showed how the display card's D40 matched the car seat's D40 marking, and the price difference. A lady was called forward to help us, and said to give us the price that was displayed, but also insinuated that we pulled a scam. According to her, there should have been another price covering the $39.84 that was somehow "missing". Considering it was updated with magic marker, I doubt it.

Hours later, my wife is still upset about it.

Last edited by M∓ 12-04-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:51 PM
junior glurber

I think it's rather amusing. You see I live just outside of Newton, and would much rather go to the Wal-Mart in Grinnell, than the one in Newton. I think the store in Grinnell has fresher veggies and I know they have lower prices on some of the same things in the Newton.

Let's face it, Newton is higher priced about anywhere you shop.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Glurber

Wal-Mart is bad for small businesses. Buy everything you can at a local mom&pop store. Also, don't buy dairy at Wal-Mart - a friend told us that they saw a cart of milk, etc. sitting next to the cooler for hours before someone finally started to stock it.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:50 AM
O.G.

Send a message via Skype™ to jmmather

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbomber View Post
Wal-Mart is bad for small businesses. Buy everything you can at a local mom&pop store. Also, don't buy dairy at Wal-Mart - a friend told us that they saw a cart of milk, etc. sitting next to the cooler for hours before someone finally started to stock it.
Works the same way in grocery stores a lot of the time.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:46 AM
I haven't posted much

Thumbs down

I work in Grinnell and live in Montezuma BUT I will only go to the Wal Mart in Oskaloosa. I will drive the extra miles to have a better selection! I couldn't even find a cookie sheet in the size I wanted. It showed the tag for it but the spot has been empty for over 2 weeks now! I was excited when I heard it was coming but VERY VERY disappointed my 1st trip in there. I agree it looks more like a warehouse than a department store.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:30 AM
glurber in training

Default the outhouse

I live in Newton, but I find myself calling and shopping at the Grinnell Wal-Mart. If you've ever been to walmart.com.......you can get the online price at Grinnell but not in Newton. Grinnell will hold an item for you at the customer service desk with your name on it. The Newton store told me that its first come first serve.

I refer to our Wal-Mart here as the outhouse.........out of this and out of that.

I've recently decided to get exactly what I want from walmart.com.......and get free shipping by using "site to store".