glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Ames, Iowa

Ames, Iowa Ames, Iowa Forum -- includes Cambridge, Gilbert, Huxley, Kelley, and Slater (in Story County)

Old 12-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Glurber

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom View Post
I find your "gloating" just plain annoying. If I wanted to live in Texas, I'd move there. Personally, I'd much rather live in Iowa!
That's fine, we have plenty of Suburban driving soccer moms around here already.

You have to understand that at least part of my shameless gloating is because my brother reads this forum... He is one of the people who is kind of snooty about how great Ames is, even though it hasn't treated him all that well, and when I moved he predicted I'd be back within two years... Its been 6 and I've not been north of Oklahoma. Oh yea... he is a "no mall"er too... Go new mall!
Old 12-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Glurbanzo Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwarejanitor View Post
20 years? It was like that in 1977 when I moved to Ames. What I could never figure out is why? There is little there to be snotty about with the exception of all the pollen during alergy season...
Just as I don't completely understand your snottiness about the trailer-town you live in. You won't tell us where that is because we've probably been there and said, Nice place to visit, but..."

..the part about your brother I understand. Maybe EMs with him would serve your purpose more directly. It's hard for the rest of us to read the crap you give "him" without taking some offense.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Glurber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcheeks View Post
Just as I don't completely understand your snottiness about the trailer-town you live in. You won't tell us where that is because we've probably been there and said, Nice place to visit, but..."

..the part about your brother I understand. Maybe EMs with him would serve your purpose more directly. It's hard for the rest of us to read the crap you give "him" without taking some offense.
Trailer town? Well, a lot of people must think it is a nice place to live since the population has more than doubled since 2000. I think I've mentioned the name of the suburb I live in, but it is right on the edge of Austin which consistantly ranks amongst the top 10 cities to live in.

http://austin.about.com/od/relocation/a/bestliving.htm
Old 12-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Glurber

Do you have some sort of social disorder where you keep doing that?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:32 PM
O.G.

Actually I find the interaction with SJ pretty good. He brings up things, and I remember them. He's a TAD older then I am (I did graduate with his brother). His postings, whether you like them or not, are more entertaining then most of the people who post here.

That and the fact that he had a hand in my online life oh so long ago.

I'd prefer his postings to Rhonda's any day.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Glurber

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot View Post
Actually I find the interaction with SJ pretty good.
Any possibility the two of you could just use an Austin message board for your correspondence?
Old 12-06-2007, 02:26 PM
glurber in training

since when is this about who has better posting? i thought we were discussing grocery stores...
Old 12-06-2007, 03:07 PM
O.G.

I'd like to see a grocery store built in the new mall complex
Old 12-06-2007, 03:10 PM
O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
Any possibility the two of you could just use an Austin message board for your correspondence?

Nope, I live in Ames... why would i want to use a board where I've never even visited the town?

Atleast here SJ has history and family.

and for the record, I do 90% of my shopping at HyVee. I find the prices OK (differ from store to store) and the friends in every isle always (almost) smile!
Old 12-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Glurber

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot View Post
Nope, I live in Ames... why would i want to use a board where I've never even visited the town?

Atleast here SJ has history and family.

and for the record, I do 90% of my shopping at HyVee. I find the prices OK (differ from store to store) and the friends in every isle always (almost) smile!
Well, we took most of our conversation to private messages since some people can't take a little ribbing...

Anyway, as I said, I used to work at the Ames Fareway (over 20 years ago, my has time flown). If I lived there I'd probably still shop there. It is too bad that the city of Ames has fought so hard for so long now to keep Fareway from expanding the store downtown or opening a 2nd store in west Ames. When I worked there the city government was always trying to get us out because we weren't fancy enough for what they wanted for the town (no deli, etc). They also have rejected several attempts by Fareway to aquire and get land zoned in west Ames for another store. I think some of the animosity was also partially because Ames doesn't like a business with headquarters in Boone and there was some history of bad blood due to how the land the current Fareway store is located on was aquired. Of course you'd think they'd have forgotten about that since it was 40 years ago.